A StackExchange question on using HAProxy’s capture feature to pass data from TCP mode to HTTP mode prompted me to update my SSL configuration. This was intended to get an A+ rating from SSL Labs by sending non-SNI capable clients to a server with weaker ciphers. This was to enable clients on WinXP/IE8, Java 6, and an old Android version to connect. I found a solution without having to have two sets of ciphers and handling traffic in both the TCP mode and HTTP mode. I then optimized my settings to a minimal list of cipher specifications.
I’ve done a little tuning to my WordPress setup. In order to keep up to date, I’ve switched from the Ubuntu installation to a downloaded installation under
/opt/wordpress. This is owned by my user and served by
apache running as
www-data. Updates are done using the sftp add-on.
I added myself to the
www-data group. This allow
apache to read any files with group access, but prevents writing if the web-server is compromised.
I set the group sticky bit on all the directories. If required, setting it on the
wp-content/upgrade directory should be sufficient.
I generated my key outside the home directory for
www-data which is
/var/www. The directory I chose is not one I would
ssh requires a
.ssh/known_hosts file in its home directory. This was created and the appropriate security added. The key is password protected.
There are some outstanding issues. I’ll look into these as time permits.
The WordPress ssh2 modules does not work on my server. I’ve found a couple of issues.
- Passwords on the key don’t work. This is a known issue with a work-around. The initial connection appears to fail, but a second call should resolve the issue.
- The is_dir function does not work. Returning true for paths that end in a slash (
/) is a workaround. This got me as far as trying to install. This may be a result of how the path is constructed and there is a published workaround.
is_file function appear to fail as WordPress reports the download contains no files. This is likely the same issue as for the
My modifications to the theme are getting a little old. The theme works reasonably well on mobile devices, but I would like to update to a more streamlined theme. The site statistics I have indicate a surprisingly high percentage of viewers use a mobile device.